Since this is the time of year for dreams to come true, I’m bringing you a list of things to hope for: Foreign foods that the UK (and maybe everywhere else) needs more of!
I hope you enjoy 😁
1. Swiss raclette 🧀 yes, it is exactly how it looks – take a big cheese, melt it, scrape it over potatoes…
2. Russian waffle sandwiches (мягкие вафли). You heard me, the Russians are SANDWICHING waffles 😍 fillings include jam, buttercream, a combo of both, caramel, even a chewy marshmallow.
3. Dutch fries with mayo, ketchup and onion (trust me, perfect combo)
4. Khachapuri – a Georgian staple food that is basically deep pan pizza dough made into a boat and filled with cheese and egg or meat. Other variations include lobiani which is flat and filled with beans.
6. Cailler chocolate – somehow our supermarkets prefer Lindt but Swiss brand Cailler comes in so many flavours that your heart will ache for what we don’t have 🍫
7. Skioufihta (σκιουφιχτα) is a Greek pasta dish. In Crete the pasta is hand rolled into little tubes and then cooked with stock and cheese! Simple and delicious.
8. Humita – I haven’t even tried this glorious, Latin American, steamed sweetcorn creation in its homeland but in a fairly authentic Argentinian restaurant in the Netherlands and it was delicious!
9. Сырок (pronounced sirok) – how do I even begin to describe this… It’s like the miniature, individually packaged lovechild of a cheesecake and a choc ice that you can eat for breakfast, as a snack or for dessert. Often they come with fillings like jam or caramel as well 🙌
Thank you for reading!